Madesey Farm Crew

Madesey Farm Crew

Saturday, November 22, 2014

A Post Dedicated To The Rider



Riders need some TLC, too!

With winter just around the corner, riders can always use a few tips to find the best, warmest, and safest riding gear out there.

If the Shoe Fits…

The top of my birthday/holiday list always has one permanent item: BOOTS.

In the winter time, I have three criterion for boots:

  • Warmth
  • Support
  • Durability

Finally, for my 22nd birthday, I received the most amazing boots that met all three. For me, it was love at first sight with Arait’s Brossard Tall Winter Boot. While they are an investment, they last forever. Additionally, I can ride in these boots! Not only are they comfortable enough to leave on all day while working in the barn, but if I want to ride Lenny, I can step in the saddle without having to change shoes! Can you say, “efficient”?!

Case in point: find a shoe that works for YOU. Those long, cold, winter days in the barn can be much more enjoyable with the right shoe.


If your boots are cleaner than this...get back in the barn!

 

For Your Noggin

One of the very first things you should buy after purchasing a horse is a helmet! Helmets can be expensive, but the contents in your skull are priceless. As discussed in previous posts, a horse has a mind of his own. I never step on Lenny unless I have a helmet on my head with a tight and comfortable chin strap!

Now that it is winter, you will also want to wear a thin hat beneath your helmet. I like to choose hats that are warm, yet slim enough to keep my helmet at a comfortable fit. You can always count on cold ears to ruin a beautiful winter day!

My favorite hat!

Coats: 

For winter riding, I always look for a longer coat with zipper or snaps in the back to allow for the coat to lay nicely over the saddle. There is nothing worse than hopping in the saddle and suddenly feeling like the Michelin man when the bottom of your long coat rides up above to your waist.

If you are looking for extra weather protection in the rain or snow, you might consider a waterproof raincoat to go over all of your other warm layers. However, BE CAUTIOUS! This is a jacket may bother some horses that have sensitive backs and sides…the long tails of the jacket may upset your horse!
 
We like to stay warm...

 

Hand Warmers: 

At Madesey Farm, we have an industrial-sized box of hand warmers in our barn office. If it gets chilly, we can walk in to grab a few, and then stick them in our gloves, hats, and shoes. That is the beauty of hand warmers—you can use them anywhere!

"Gold"

Jodhpur Pants:

Riders spend a lot of time covering their face, arms, and hands in preparation for winter riding, but those thin jodhpur pants…they will make you cold. Unfortunately for riders, saddles are not constructed with built-in heaters (although, that sounds like a great business plan).

So…what is the solution?

Insulated pants! Dover Saddlery offers a great selection of warm winter Jodhpur pants to keep your legs toasty on those blistery January days. 

I could go on for days about my favorite brands, styles, and materials when it comes to riding equipment for us humans, but if I did, I would have nothing more to blog about! Stay tuned for more blogs focused on the rider!

No comments:

Post a Comment