Madesey Farm Crew

Madesey Farm Crew

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

The Fear Factor


As per the suggestion of a reader, today, we will tackle the “fear factor” when it comes to riding horses.

If you own a horse, odds are you have fallen off of that horse…more than once.

There are two types of riders: those who can fall off and get back on with no problems, and those who are more wary to step in the saddle again. I happen to be the former.

My older sister Maura, with whom I have competed at horse shows since age 7, is the latter. In fact, after the first time she fell off, it took her a year to trot a horse again. A YEAR. However, Maura went on to win many national victories, so as long as the fear factor is overcome, it will not hinder your riding potential!

Everyone, including myself, feels fear at some point during a riding career.

Remember, this is a REAL issue called hippophobia. If these tips do not work, then you may need to consider professional guidance to overcome the fear.

Never Ride Alone

As a rule-of-thumb, I do my best to never ride alone, especially if I am riding Lenny—he is one of the only horses to truly scare me at times! Not only will having another person there with you make you feel more at ease, but it will also help you with your riding. Professional trainers are essential if you aim to become a serious competitor in the show ring.

My cousin and aunt riding National Champion Moulin Rouge

 

Remain Calm 

Faith Meredith, Director of Meredith Manor International Equestrian Center, states that when it comes to overcoming fear, “One of the partners has to stay calm in order to bring the other back to that state.” My mom always told me that horses can “sense fear” and after 15 years of competitive riding, I have come to realize the absolute truth in this statement. When you take a deep breath and relax, your horse will do the same. Trust me.

My best friend Tyler experiencing the fear factor with Lenny!

 

Get Saddle/Barn Time

You should build a regular schedule when it comes to barn and saddle time. The more time you spend with your horse, the more comfortable you will feel—simple! Be diligent. The moment you begin to slip, you take one step backwards in your journey towards complete confidence.


Stay familiar with the view through your horse's ears

 

Feel The Rhythm 

I will never forget what one of my first trainers told me: “It’s all about cadence.” 

When I was 13 years old, I rode and competed with a particularly difficult purebred Arabian—he had a bucking problem. My trainer, horse, and I spent hours in our outdoor arena on hot summer days trying to overcome the issue. 

“Ignore it,” my trainer would tell me, “he is just trying to scare you.” After months of hard work…the bucking went away. I learned to move with my horse’s rhythm, and the harmony of motion cured all.

"Feeling the rhythm" with Lenny!

 

Ride The Right Horse

OK…this is admittedly difficult. Sometimes, the horse you are riding is just not for you. Before purchasing a horse, you should get an expert opinion the quality and safety of the horse. A close friend was recently forced to sell her horse because she simply could not ride and feel safe. She has since purchased a new horse, and that has made all the difference. 

Remember, horses range in difficulty, so it is important to do your research!

Pit Boss Enjoying the day at Madesey Farm

ENJOY Your Time With Your Horse

Remember, at the end of the day, you are doing this for fun! 

Fear can sometimes be a gateway to anger. Do not let that happen! Horses are a hobby and a blessing. Smile and appreciate the time you get with your horse. A happy rider makes a happy horse!

And finally, it is all about perspective. Yes, horses are 1,000+ pounds, and we SHOULD be wary of the animals…but only in a healthy way. When fear becomes phobia, then it is hard to bring yourself back to reality.

Best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment